Simon's Monthly Tips
During the month of January, hive activity is often very low. Bees usually restrict their flights to warmer days, just to defecate. You should use this “quiet month” to ensure your hives and equipment are in good order prior to the oncoming season.
- Check exterior for mice or other pests and damage.
- Hive/frame and equipment repair and assembly.
- Apply your mid-winter Varroa treatment.
- Make plans for your new season.
- Join your local association (BKA) and ‘Beecraft’ journal.
- Check food level by ‘Hefting’ your hives.
- Update records.
- Apply your winter varroa treatment if not already completed.
- Tools and equipment.
- Assembled spare frames and hives.
- General clean and tidy up.